Caramelised Onion Zucchini Galette
This Caramelised Onion Zucchini Galette is a perfect summer meal with beautifully crunchy pastry and thick flavourful filling. You can eat it warm or cold, it will be equally delicious.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 8 slices
- 2 cups spelt flour not whole - it’s better to use sifted, we call it T-850
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil well chilled / measured melted and then left to cool / use a knife to cut it in small pieces
- herb provencal
- For tofu filling
- 1 block of tofu - around 250grams
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 3 pinches of salt
- 1/2 tbsp tapioca starch or 1 tsp arrowroot
- powdered or fresh garlic
- ground coriander
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp cream - almond or soy or any other mild tasting one
- 1 large zucchini sliced very thinly and seasoned with salt pepper and olive oil
- For caramelized Onions
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp Shoyu
- pinch of thyme
- 1 tsp maple syrup
Sift flours and the rest of dry ingredients into a bowl
Scrape or cut the coconut oil using the knife into tiny bits or pop it in a food processor and puls.
Add dry ingredients
Using your fingers crumble the flour and bits of coconut oil together
When you have the oil and flour crumbled together, add ice cold water
Knead the dough very gently only to get it into a ball shaped dough
Now that you have successfully gotten a ball shape, wrap it up in a cling foil and place in the freezer to chill for about 15 minutes
In mean time prepare the filling – slice the zucchini into thin slices, season with oil, salt and pepper
Caramelise the onions: saute them on olive oil with addition of spices and herbs until very soft and brown, add maple syrup and saute a bit longer
Prepare the tofu: crumble it in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
After 15 minutes have elapsed, place the dough on 1 piece of floured parchment paper and gently flatten it.
Sift some flour on top and cover with second piece of parchment paper
Gently roll out the dough, we want it pretty thin
When nice and evenly rolled out, carefully remove the top paper
Spread the tofu filling, top with caramelised onions and arrange the zucchini on top as in the picture gallery.
Gently fold the ends of pastry and place into the oven warmed to 190C or 365F.
Bake for 33 minutes or until nice and golden
- You can use a mix of buckwheat and rice flour or spelt and rice flour for a slightly different taste
- I made this galette with tomatoes instead of zucchini and it was equally amazing