These Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies are such a rich and decadent treat yet made with wholesome ingredients and easy to make despite a few steps you need to make. Each is really simple..
Why are these Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies so easy to make
Despite having to prepare a few things to make these cookies they are easy to make because each stage is super simple by itself.
- The Cookie Dough – is made with just 5 ingredients: flour, hazelnuts, vegan butter, salt and agave or maple syrup
- The filling – made with only 4 ingredients: ground walnuts, plantbased milk, vanilla and maple syrup
- Chocolate Glaze – made with 4 ingredients: cocoa butter, cocoa, salt and maple syrup
Do I need a lot of time to make these Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies?
To make these cookies you really do not need much time and can make a big batch in approximately an hour and from these ingredients you will get around 40 sandwich cookies.
Can I make these cookies gluten free?
You can make these cookies gluten free by subbing the spelt flour with half rice and half buckwheat flour. Or simple use gluten free mix instead.
If you like chocolate treats be sure to check out my:
Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies
- Cookie Dough
- 1 cup spelt flour or mix of rice and buckwheat flour or use gluten free mix
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or use dairy if not vegan
- 2 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup
- Walnut Filling
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1/3 cup plantbased milk
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or essence
- Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- Make the cookie dough. Mix together flour, ground hazelnuts and salt in a bowl.
- Add butter and syrup and knead briefly just until you get a soft dough that sticks together. If it's too wet or sticky, add more flour. But not too much, the dough has to stay soft.
- Wrap in cling foil and leave in fridge to chill for about 15 minutes
- Make small cookie dough balls, place them on lined baking sheet and flatten with bottom of a glass. If it is sticky, use some flour when rolling the balls to prevent them to stick to the glass
- Bake on 160 celsius or 320F, on fan assisted mode
- They are done when the edges start to brown. Leave them to cool down before assembling
- Prepare the filling: place ground walnuts and vanilla in a bowl and add hot milk and syrup. Mix until you get smooth cream. It will be runny but it will become thicker as it cools down
- Use approximately a teaspoon of filling for each cookies sandwich. Let the cookie sandwiches to firm up a bit when assembled. The filling will firm up and make the cookies not come appart.
- Prepare the chocolate glaze: Place cocoa butter in a bowl and put it on a pan with boiling water to melt. When melted, add rest of ingredients and mix until smooth.
- dip top of each cookie sandwich in chocolate and decorate with one hazelnut or walnut.