Here’s another delicious smoothie with buckwheat as it’s base ingredient. It has such a beautiful creamy chocolatey flavour, you’d never guess what’s in it. And what a nutritious bomb it is! So much amazing protein, minerals and good carbs inside.
Great as pre and post workout meal. If you have it before, it will give you enough stable energy throughout the workout and eaten after, it will provide great proteins to help build strong beautiful muscles.
I love using buckwheat whenever I can: in cakes, waffles, pancakes and pasta in form of flour, or raw in my smoothies and parfaits.
Buckwheat is an amazing grain (actually it goes by pseudo grains) cause it provides a high quality and easily digestible plant protein, it’s gluten free and non-alergenic, contains abundance of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber. You can use it in raw and cooked form. Here I used raw groats.
What you need to do when you use it raw for smoothies and parfaits is soak it overnight in water with addition of apple cider vinegar for at least for a few hours. This will start fermentation and make the groats easily digestible in this raw form.
You have to wash it thoroughly before using the soaked groats in the recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes + soaking time
Yields: 2 cups
1/2 cup buckwheat (1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1 cup water for soaking)
1/3 cup almonds soaked (or say, handful:)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 frozen banana
1,5 cup almond milk
2 tbsp raw cocoa powder
1-2 tsp Maca powder
1 tsp lemon juice
Pinch of vanilla
1. As previously mentioned, soak the buckwheat and leave overnight at room temperatureor at least for a few hours.
2. Then rise well
3. also rinse the almonds (it is not obligatory but they will blend better and we activate them this way)
4. Blend all ingredients until very smooth
– If you want to achieve the ombre look just divide the smoothie in two parts before adding the cocoa powder. Then add to one cocoa and blend some more. Layer in a jar and mix with a spoon.
– You can add maca powder for extra nourishment and fibre.
– Lemon juice is a nice addition too cause it brings out the flavours even more.
– Vanilla…well, I just use it in EVERYTHING sweet cause everything tastes better with vanilla 😉
I hope you like this recipe; if you recreate it tag on Instagram with #deliciousandhealthybymaya @delicious_and_healthy_by_maya for a chance to be featured;)
And if you like what I share on my blog, please subscribe to my updates above.